Cystic Fibrosis and Travelling (GP)

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am always talking about where I want to travel next. I love
traveling. I enjoy experiencing different cultures, environments, and trying something new. My family taught me to not let cystic fibrosis get in the way of my desire of wanting to see new places. 

Look, I understand that traveling with cystic fibrosis can be very overwhelming. Packing medications, planning for if an emergency occurs, or even when having to go through security with all of my medical equipment can be stressful. I’m not here to say how to pack for a trip or what to expect when traveling with CF, but rather tell you what I have learned.

Before university, I never traveled by myself, I always had family or friends with me. The thought of traveling with all of my medication by myself daunted me. I was used to having the assistance or the company of my family. The first trip by myself, I did not need the push of people telling me to just get up and go, but rather, I “ripped the band-aid off” myself. If I wanted to travel more, I needed to learn how to navigate through airports all by myself. Each trip was another push to get me to get over my fear of being alone and dealing with everything myself. Over time, traveling began to get easier and easier. Not to say that there haven’t been any bumps in the road, but I have learned from them. A huge encouragement to traveling alone with cystic fibrosis was seeing a few of my other friends with CF traveling. I realized that if they can do it, I can do it too.

I’ve learned that the staff of airlines can be very helpful, sometimes. It’s not a bad thing to ask
for help or clarification. Don’t let fear stop you from wanting to try new things. There is a whole world to explore and having cystic fibrosis does not mean to not seek out adventure. Live. You don’t have to travel far; you could just travel to a place a couple of miles away. Live in the moment, seek adventure, and don’t wait for adventure to find you.

Ashley

YouTube
Instagram
Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Last Call + Q&A 2023

What Not To Say To Someone With Cystic Fibrosis

What it's Like Being a Friend to Someone with CF (GP)