Invisible Illness

This post was originally posted on my Instagram on March 17th, 2016.

@shannonjamesphotography / Instagram, 2016

If you were sat in one of these seats and a young person, maybe a teenager coming home from school, asks to sit down, would you get up if it looked as if there was nothing wrong with them? 

You said "No." 

Am I wrong?

Most people will say no because their definition of "disabled" means being in a wheelchair or being physically or mentally stopped in some way. A disability isn't something that you can see sometimes. 


There are many disabilities where the only hint of anything wrong will be absolutely tiny. I have two "invisible illnesses." I have Cystic Fibrosis and Diabetes. I would be more than happy to guess that if I was stood up on the bus with no seats anywhere, I wouldn't be offered the seat. If I asked, the person already sat down would probably say no. 

Just because you can't see that someone is disabled, doesn't mean that they aren't.


Shannon x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Last Call + Q&A 2023

What it's Like Being a Friend to Someone with CF (GP)

What Not To Say To Someone With Cystic Fibrosis