Cystic Fibrosis, Transplant and Me (GP)

I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis when I was just 3 weeks old. I was diagnosed with Pseudomonas when I was just two, this was the start of endless treatments and IV antibiotics. It was also the time that I refused to eat and needed to have a tube put down my nose to feed me. This was my life for many many years (the tube was changed and I had a permanent one placed in my stomach when I was 5). 

I didn't know anything different other than taking tablets, doing physio and having IVs every 8-12 weeks. It was my normal.

I stayed pretty stable for quite a few years. My Lung Function sat around 40%. It was low but I carried on living. It wasn't until I was 16 when my lung collapsed that everything changed. In April 2010 my left lung collapsed, I stayed in hospital for 3 weeks with a chest drain in. The day I was discharged (I got all the way home from London) my lung collapsed again. This time I had to have surgery to try and stop it from going again. By the time I was discharged my referral for a double lung transplant had been sent to Harefield Hospital. My lungs were damaged beyond repair due to the constant bugs and chest infections. By the September I had my first appointment at Harefield where I was told I look like a good candidate for transplant. I needed to go back for a 4-day assessment in November to do various tests for them to decide 100% if I could go on the list. It took an extra month for a few results to come back and then on the 23rd December 2010 I was put on the active Transplant list. 

I knew the wait would be hard. You have to try and keep yourself as well as possible as the call could come at any point. I waited 10 months for my call. On the 17th of October 2011 at just 17 years old, I went down to theatre for my life-saving operation. 

It's now been 7 1/2 years since my operation. I have done so much with my life including going to University, going on so many holidays and jumping from a plane. 

I am not cured of CF. I still have to have a nebulizer to protect my lungs. I still take a lot of tablets for rejection, vitamins for CF and enzymes for when I eat. I suffer from weak bones called osteoporosis, I have hearing issues due to IVs being toxic to my body, I now have chronic kidney disease due to the medication that keeps me from rejecting my lungs and I also came out of surgery diabetic so also have that to contend with. 

All these things I have to balance with everyday life. However, all of this has made me who I am. It's allowed me to meet all types of people and to live for today. I have fitted more into my 25 years of life than some do in a lifetime. I understand how precious life is. 

I wouldn't be here today without my Organ Donor who had signed up to the organ donor register. Please sign up and tell your loved ones of your wishes.

Charlotte Davies


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Last Call + Q&A 2023

What Not To Say To Someone With Cystic Fibrosis

What it's Like Being a Friend to Someone with CF (GP)